|1st District||2nd District||3rd District||4th District|
|Distance from Manila: 210 KM|
|It was named as a token of gratitude to then Governor of the Province, Felimon Perez who helped make this place an independent municipality. It has 14 barangays, 4 of which are urban and the rest are rural barangays.|
Today, the Municipality of Perez, with its 11,022 people living in an area of 5,860 hectares, lies at the northern tip of Alabat Isle.
One hundred years ago, this place was once a thick forest where fishermen from Mauban sheltered. Fishes were abundant during those early days and, in a few years a settlement was founded on its sandy shores. The settlement grew and flourished. Among the earliest settlers were Timoteo Almandrones, Isidro Aguilar, Prudencio Alpay, Pablo Camitan, Urbano Diasanta, Pablo Faraon, Epifanio Regodon, and Benito Ursolino. With their industrious and hard-working families the village grew and prospered.
At that time there was a town at the middle of the island called Barcelona; and in 1884 the Spaniards ordered the village's transfer of jurisdiction from Mauban to Barcelona (now Alabat) which was headed by a Capitan. In Sangirin (now Perez), Felix Almandrones, younger brother of Timoteo, was appointed cabeza whose chief duty was the collection of taxes. People were too poor to pay taxes, which were heavy burdens for them, and had to resist collection. This angered the Spaniards. In 1886 a Spaniard captain led a group of casadores composed of Spaniards and natives to sail to Sangirin to enforce tax collection. People resisted, and in the fight, Felino de Leon and German Bantucan were killed. The besiegers burned the village.
In 1887 rice became scarce and people ate edible roots, such as camotes, nami, urabe, etc. Some people were forced by hard times to rob rice owners for their own survival. Peace reigned once more in 1892, and the village began again to prosper.
But the onward march to prosperity was marred by a fearful catastrophe. It was in 1903, when an epidemic of influenza and cholera broke out, and claimed a hundred lives in two years out of a population of five hundred villagers. Parish Priest Gregorio Alma led the jubilee every dusk afternoon for about a month. When normal conditions were restored. Sangirin began to grow and prosper. And in 1920, Juan Sanchez who owned a complete elementary school in Mauban, opened a branch in Sangirin also complete elementary. This school was named "Corona College", same name as high school in Mauban. But lack of pupils forced the closing of the intermediate. Besides, the public school opened a primary school in 1924, forcing the Corona College to close; retaining only the classes in Grades I, II, & III, with Doroteo Felizco of Atimonan as incharge. In the public school, called Sangiring Primary School, Mr. Sabas Zoleta was made head-teacher. This school was under the principal of Alabat Elementary School. Three years later a complete elementary school was established. Sangirin Elementary School with Anastacio Hugo as its first principal teacher.
As the village progressed, prominent citizens of this community began to agitate for an independent municipality. Active leaders of the separation movement were Fortunato Almadrones, Esteban Alpay, Lope Diasanta, Joaquin Villabroza, Francisco Refazo, Placido de los Reyes, Doroteo Felizco, and Briccio Grimarez. Finally, in 1929, Sangirin was separated from Aiabat and christened Municipality of Perez in honor of Governor Filemon Almadrones was the first Municipal President.
Alabat Landing Field was constructed at the northern tip of barrio Villamanzano Norte, about five kilometers away from the new poblacion, and finished in 1938. Three years later, a concrete wharf at the western shore of the poblacion was inaugurated.
In the morning of December 24, 1941, when Florentino Almandrones was Mayor, about twenty Japanese soldiers landed somewhere in the island, and the people of the poblacion fled to the barrios. In January 1942 the Japanese ordered the opening of the elementary school and two Japanse soldiers became the teachers of Nippongo. Apolonio de la Cruz, alias Ponyong, who was a member of the Ganap Party, was chosen puppet town mayor. After a year Doroteo Felizco succeeded him as puppet mayor of Perez. In November 1944, the Japanese occupation forces tortured to death Chief of Police Magtanggol Merrick and Mayor Oliveros of Quezon town inside the municipal building of Perez.
At the defeat of Japan in 1945 the town returned to normal conditions, and Perez began again to grow and prosper. Many Bicolanos flocked to this place to work in coconut plantations. But in April 30, 1950, a group of huks raided the town, burned the municipal building, and looted some stores. Mayor Constancio Reyes built a new municipal building on its same lot; and in addition constructed a public market and puericulture center.
Since then, the town has grown to its present population of 11,022 people. A nice church, which has been built under the guidance of Rev. Father Justino Manaog, is now the center of religious activities.