|1st District||2nd District||3rd District||4th District|
|Distance from Manila: 136 KM|
|The capital of the province, Lucena City has one of the busiest fishing ports and a major domestic passenger seaport in Luzon. It is the center of commerce and economic activity as its central business district is home to a large cluster of different business enterprises. It is known for the annual Pasayahan sa Lucena reminiscent of Mardi Gras in Brazil, and its very own delicacy, chami.|
From a few isolated clusters of thatch-roofed huts, inhabited by hardy and determined people, Lucena metamorphosed into a chartered city populated by no less than 175,000 of amalgamated race, color and creed. Since then she has asserted and will continue to assert her existence as a city in point of social, political and economic aspects.
Hemmed by the irregularly contoured beach of Tayabas Bay on the east, placidly cuddled amidst the intermittent array of coco palms and verdurous rice paddies by the luzuriant Mount Banahaw, nestles the city of Lucena a progressive infant metropolis of Quezon often clubbed as the "Rose of Quezon Province". This capital city of Quezon is about one hundred thirty seven kilometers southeast of Manila, is accessible by land, air and sea transportations.
A FORMER BARRIO OF TAYABAS
This sprawling city, several years ago was a mere barrio of the town of Tayabas. It was through the unrelenting and incesant efforts of Messrs. Faustino Enriquez, Leon Reyes, Melanio Allarey, Bartolome Queblar, Doroteo Trinidad, Rufina Barcelona, Andres Ulpiana, Bernardo Merchan, Francisco Juarez, Santiago Abellanosa, and several spirited citizens, that Lucena was formally separated from Tayabas to become a district and independent municipality.
DIFFERENT NAMES GIVEN TO LUCENA
Because of the enthralling beauty and abounding scenic spots that predominated the town during the early days of its existence, Lucena was christened "Buenavista". Its name underwent a second change during the incumbency of Spanish Governor General Oroquieta, when "Buenavista" was changed to "Oroquieta" in honor of said Governor. In tribute to its being an impregnable bastion against the piratical and marauding activities of the moros, it was called "Cotta" (meaning fort). The present name "Lucena" was finally adopted by virtue of an "Orden Real Super Civil" promulgated on November 5, 1879. This name was given as a posthumous honor to the late Spanish prelated Reverened Mariano Granja, a native of the town of Lucena, province of Andalucia, Spain. Father Granja has reputedly done much in the propagation of the Christian faith in this part of the island. It was also during his administration that Lucena became a parish on March 1, 1881. He also directed the construction of the original church which was begun in May 1882, and completed in July 1884. The church was razed to the ground by the conflagration that broke out that same year and rebuilt in November 1887.
The territory to comprise the newly created municipality was formally defined on June 23, 1880, when stone monuments were placed. Two years after the official creation of Lucena as a "Principalia" on June 1, 1882, were elected from among the recognized leaders its first "gobernadorcillo" a teniente mayor", a "teniente de policia" a "teniente de ganado" a "teniente de sementera" and the "cabezas de barangay".