|1st District||2nd District||3rd District||4th District|
|Distance from Manila: 312 KM|
|It is formerly known as Aurora in honor of the first lady of the Philippines, Doña Aurora Quezon. The name was changed to San Francisco in honor of the municipality's patron saint, St. Francis Assisi. It is composed of 16 barangays. It is one of the prominent producers of livestock in the province since 1984 and has potential export product- the giant squid.|
Our municipality has no records of historical events that happened before the Spanish discovery of the Islands in the year 1521. However, it seems apparent that even before such date Chinese traders had reached our place on account of the discovery just recently of several utensils composed of jars, vases, bowls, plates, cups, saucers and jewelries dug in several places along the shores of San Francisco, Quezon. Inscriptions are found especially in the jars and upon proper studies they appear to be the symbol of the Ming Dynasty.
During the Spanish period, like other villages, our village had been the subject of frequent attack by non- Christian marauders. In the year 1764, safety measures were made by the inhabitants especially those in sitio Matalola, Maayas-as and Mayabok by concentrating themselves in a single place called May Campana, situated in sitio Kuling the place being in the interior part of the Bondok region. In the year 1784, the settlers not contented in the settlement where they were moved to another place called Bondok. Bondok is a highly elevated place allowing the new settlers to see the surrounding areas especially the sea and the Vintas that were coming often loaded with non-Christians could easily be detected and surprised attack thus prevented.
Bondok, from where the name of barrio Bondok was derived was organized into village in the year 1784 under the leadership of Juan de Torres, Manuel Cuyo and Gregorio Palacio, the supposed founder. In the year 1814, on account of the hardships encountered by the villagers in going to the shore by reason of distance, they moved their settlement along the shore which is now the present site of the municipality of San Francisco, . Quezon.
No records could be traced how the early settlers organized their early govemment but, as to their origin the early families of settlers like that of Lizardo, Escovidal, Presas, Casabella, Rocero, Escobar, Palacio, Rocafor, Aurinto, Ojastro, Olgina, Loretizo, Baladhay and Montes originated from the Visayas with the exception of Montes and Palcio who came from the town of Atimonan.
During that period, Bondo remaining as a barrio and headed by a person called Teniente Absoluto, was included as one among the barrios of the Municipality of Mulanay, the mother town of the present Municipality of San Francisco, Quezon. In the year 1898, the first Teniente Absoluto appointed was Numeriano Nosce. During his term of office the short-lived Philippine Republic was proclaimed making Bondo a separate Municipality from Mulanay. The former name of Bondo was changed to San Emilio, and the first person appointed as Municipal Head was the late Vicente Edaño who served office for a period of two years.
During that period when Spanish-American war was going on the American Forces finally took absolute control of the country. No changes were made in connection with the municipal govemment except the head executive in the person of the late Galicano Ner who served for a period of four years. The Municipal Government being unable to meet the necessities of self-government was again made a barrio of Mulanay and adopted again its former barrio name Bondo.
From the year 1904 up to April 16, 1938, Bondo had been a barrio of the Municipality of Mulanay. However, on April 14, 1938, His Excellency the late Manuel Quezon, arrived at Matataja on board the Presidential Yatch Casiana for wild games. Such presence being known to the residents of Bondo, they organized a team of prominent persons to greet the President. The members of the team were late Don Venancio Queblar, late Dr. Pantaleon Edaño, late Miguel Gutierez and Councilor Jose P. Allarey, who right away proceeded to Matataja. While in Matataja on board Casiana the team invited the Praident to visit Bondo, which was readily responded, but on account of pre-scheduled trip to Negros such visit was postponed.
It was Saturday moming of April 16, 1936, much to the surprise of the residents of Bondo the Prsidential Yatch Casiana anchored at Bondo Harbor. Residents of the placed rushed to the shore to meet the President. The President having down ashore and followed by a long group of the residens proceeded right away to the barrio plaza in front of the catholic church. Viewing for a short moment the situation of the village the President called the attention of the residents surrounding him and asked them what they wanted. The residents answered in return that they want independence. The President in return told the residents around him that from this day you are now independent and my friend Venancio Queblar is your Municipal Mayor. The residents proceed to the shore and boarded Casiana for Manila. A couple of weeks later, communication was received with the appointment papers of Don Venancio Queblar with Aurora its municipal name adopted in behalf of Doña Aurora Quezon, the President's wife.
Don Venancio Queblar with Aurora served as Municipal Mayor for a period of four years from 1938-1941. Dr. Pantaleon Edañ who served followed him from the year 1941 to 1943. Mayor Pantaleon Edaño unable to continue in office during the Japanese occupation relinquished his office to Mr. Marcial Edades who served as Mayor from the year 1943 to 1945. During that period the Philippines was being liberated by the American Forces from the Japanese Imperial Army, a new executive head was appointed in the person Mr. Nemecio Jorquia was succeeded by Mayor Pedro Aguila who served in Office from the year 1956 to 1959. Being unable to run for a second term he was followed by Mayor Gregorio Edaño who served from the year 1959 to 1963. Mayor Vicente Guerra succeeded Mayor Edaño and served from the year 1963 to 1967.
In the year 1962, delay of communication for letters intended for the Municipality of Aurora, being sent to the Municipality of Maria Aurora, situated in the sub-province of Aurora, the Municipal Council of Aurora, sponsored a resolution calling for the change of name of Aurora to San Francisco. This resolution was sponsored by Congressman Eladio Caliwara in Congress was finally approved.
The present Municipality of San Francisco, Quezon has a total land area of 45,800 Hectares and with a population of 53,286 based on the 2007 census. Being a mountainous region the climate conditions was supposed to be relatively dry, especially during the months of January up to May, thus, causing great damage and injury to coconuts the major crops and to other minor crops of the place. The Municipality of San Francisco, Quezon, has a trace of mineral oil, like gas. Last year attempt was made by the WHITE EAGLE COMPANY to extract it out but, by reason of financial handicap and lss quantity of supply the operation was stopped momentarily.