|1st District||2nd District||3rd District||4th District|
|Distance from Manila: 258 KM|
|It lies along the coastal lines of Bondoc Peninsula in the Southern part of Quezon province. Founded on January 20, 1686, it is the commercial hub of the Third District.|
Catanauan, a coastal town lis in the heart of the Bondoc Peninsula in the southern part of the province of Quezon (formerly Tayabas). It is bounded on the North by the Municipality of Lopez, South by Mulanay and Tayabas Bay, East by San Narciso and on the Northwest by General Luna.
It has an area of 17,500 hectares of which almost one half are planted to coconuts. The Poblacion has 24 and after World War II, four residential subdivisions adjacent to the town proper added another 25 hectars. The coastal terrain is plain but hilly in its northern and eastern part.
In all there are 36 barrios and after the declaration of Martial law in 1972, there were created 10 barangays in the Poblacion. Its population as of the general census of 2007, was 365,705 of which more or less one fourth reside in the town proper.
This town is a melting pot for among its inhabitants are those from Marinduque, Batangas, Laguna, Cavite, Bicolanos, Ilocanos and Visayans.
Its main product is coconut. Fishing which, is seasonal, is availed of by those living along and near the sea.
Not much could be told of its pre-Spanish history. It is safe to say, however, that the first inhabitants of this region were Aetas, commonly called here as "Balugas". Descendants of this ethnic group could still be found in one of its barrios - San Jose, where they are still grouped together until now. They were being assimilated by the newcomers, most of which still retain their traits, customs and traditions and of course their physical features.
As to its foundation no authentic date could be given. However, in the famous Father Pedro Murilo Velarde map of 1734, the first detailed map of the Philippines, Catanauan was among the pueblos indicated therein.
In 1685, Bishop Andres Gonzales of the bishopric of Nueva Caceres (Naga) petitioned the king of Spain, that Masbate and the pueblo of Catanauan and some of its surrounding villages be assigned to the Recollect Order to serve the spiritual needs of the natives. The latter area was however, rejected because of the distance from Masbate and the added reason that the Franciscan could very well take charge as they have their missions near there.
Records show that two Franciscan Missionaries came to Mulanay, a neighboring municipality 14 kilometers South in the early years of the 17th century. These two priests were responsible for the oonversion of the natives to Christianity.
An old manuscript listing all the headmen or Capitanes of this village during the Spanish times, shows that one Luis de las Casas was its Capitan in 1713 and 1714. The year 1713 which, appears in the official seal of the municipality is assumed as the foundation year of this town. Rallying on that assumption, it celebrated it 250th foundation anniversary in 1963.