|1st District||2nd District||3rd District||4th District|
|Distance from Manila: 232 KM|
|It is one of the largest municipalities in the province. It is located in the North Western tip of Quezon. It is being dubbed as the emerging trnasportation terminal in the Southern Tagalog because of the three terminals that operate in the area.|
The first record of the establishment of a settlement in Calauag dates as far back as the year 1584 according to a treatise of Father Valentin Martin in his "Ensayo de una Sintesis de los Trabajos Bealizados por las Corporaciones Religiosas Españolas de Filipinas". However, the formal founding of the town of Calauag was placed in the year 1851 with the union of the settlements in apad and Calauag. The name Calauag was derived from an incident in which a huge turtle known as "Kala" was caught near the seashore of the town. When the town people tried to kill the turtle with sticks the fisherman who caught the turtle dissuaded them from doing so by shouting "Kala-Huwag Kala"; hence the derivation of the name Calauag.
The town is simated at 13 55' latitude and 122 20' longtitude bounded on the North by Lamon Bay, on the West and South by the municipality of Lopez and on the East by the municipalities of Gapalonga, Tagkawayan and Guinayangan. It has a tropical climate favorable to abundant growth of vegetation lush, forests and a rich sea which abounds with sea products. The land area is 39,500 hectares and a population of 69,475 based on the 2007 census.
Records show that the inhabitants which settled in Calauag came from Perez (Buenavista) and Tikay (Guinayangan) which joined the original settlers in Pinagbayanan and Apad. The population gradually increased thru migration from the Bicol Region, Atimonan, Gumaca, Mauban and Lopez. The population is predominantly Tagalog with the Bicolanos coming in second comprising about 35% followed by Batangueños, Visayan, Pampangos and Ilocanos. The predominant religion is Roman Catholic with Iglesia ni Kristo coming in second, Protestants of differents sects, 7th Day Adventists and Jehovahs Witnesses.
In 1851 the settlements of Apad and Pinagbayanan decided to unite for protection against the Moros and founded the official site of the town at what is now Barrio Pinagbayanan. The first Captain elected was Juan Sunog. In 1897 the town was put under the Revolutionary Government and Alipio Declaro became the Municipal President. In 1914 under Municipal President Marciano Roldan, the town was destroyed by fire for the first time in its history. In December 24, 1941 the town was occupied by the Japanese invading army and in January 14, 1942 the town was again destroyed by fire. In April 19, 1945 the American Liberation forces liberated the town from Japanese Occupation.
CULTURAL AND SOCIAL ACTIVITIES
The traditional town fiesta is held on May 25th in honor of its Patron Saint, St. Peter although the religious celebration is held on June 29th. All National holidays are observed in the municipality. The most important social activities are the New Year's Ball every December 31st, under the auspices of the Benedict Circle, and the Independence Day dance held under the auspices of the Manga-Achara Club. The May Flower Festival is usally held on May 27th and the Town Fiesta dance on May 24th under the auspices of the Barrio Captains' League. During Lent, many religious activities dating back to the Spanish time are still practiced like the penitensiya, the reading of the Passion and the staging of Sinakulo depicting the Holy Passion.