|1st District||2nd District||3rd District||4th District|
|Distance from Manila: 270 KM|
|Piris was its former name. This 4th class municipality was mere hamlet of Guinayangan, Quezon before if finally became a municipality. Buenavista is located in the eastern part of Quezon Province. Some areas are known for its gold deposits.|
Paris was its former name. It was a mere hamlet of the municipality of Guinayangan, Province of Quezon, and remained as such for quite a number of years until it finally became a municipality. Buenavista is now its official name. Its original name was Piris as engraved in the oldest church bell, which was donated by one Don Jose Casal in the year 1866. It used to be located in the sitio of Pinagbayanan situated in the Western side of the Paris River which is about one a half kilometers away from the present townsite. This place became the choice of the founders who were a mixture of Bicolanos and Visayans to enable them to easily escape the ferocious Moro raids that were rampant during the olden times. When the raids finally subsided, the barrio of Piris was transferred to its present location but nobody could tell the exact date of its establishment thereat. The word Paris was changed to Piris and later re - changed to Piris by the young generation for pronunciation facility.
The persons who are still remembered to have held leading positions in the locality were Apolinario Yakaba, Florentino Nepomuceno and a Feliciano Roldan, having been Tenyente Absolutes who held the same office in succession up to the advent of the American regime.
One Pedro Aristoteles, a Bicolano, who became totally blind after having some education, and another man from Batangas, who is still remembered in the name of Señor Viscocho, were the distinct Maestros Munisipales until me early part of the American Regime.
No historical sites, structures, buildings and old ruins were left, except the remaining parts of the posts of the so - called "Tribunal" building which was burned by the Spanish soldiers.
In the year 1918 an ex-Spanish soldier, in the name of Guillermo Gonzalves who was once the collector of tribute during the Spanish Regime, came to Piris with an American surveyor, named Mr. Walter Solomon and had a big portion of both the public and private lands in the locality surveyed. The ex-soldier alleged that various cabezaz of Piris were not able to settle the tribute under their respective responsibilities. A big agrarian conflict arose. The innocent landowners were not to be stopped in their pursuit in spite of the efforts exerted by Guillermo Gonzalves and his surveyor. The case was brought to the court of justice and remained unsettled for a period of fourteen years. Finally, the Supreme Court ruled that the areas that were claimed rightfully were to be awarded to the claimants and the areas actually being occupied belonged to the actual occupants.
In the month of October, 1936, some civic-minded natives launched the proposition of making the place a municipality. The residents signed a petition of making the place a municipality. The residents signed a petition for the separation of Piris from the mother municipality. A group of seven members was formed and was commissioned to undertake a delegation to the Office of the Secretary of the lnterior for the purpose. The group was composed of the late Don Feliciano Roldan, Mariano San Jose, Honorio Hutanares, Teodorico Dosto, Ciriaco Parraba, Atty. Antonio Pasta, and Francisco San Jose. The outbreak of the second global war marked the failure of the offices concerned to convert the place into a regular municipality.
On December 29, 1942, the guerillas came down from the mountain, assembled the people in the Catholic Church and massacred the crowd in cold blood. Quite a number of the civilian population was killed.
The year 1949 ushered in a new horizon for the people of Piris. Immediately after the election of the Hon. Gaudencio V. Vera to the Office of Congressman for the second district of Quezon province, Mr. Francisco San Jose, a native and public school teacher of the place, was instructed by Congressman Vera to help prepare the necessary papers pertaining to the separation of Piris from Guinayangan. House Bill No. 83, which was sponsored by the energetic solon, was passed by both Houses of Congress and became Republic Act No. 495. Under Proclamation No. 201 of His Excellency, President Elpidio Quirino, the corporate existence of Piris in the name of BUENAVISTA, the 37th municipality of Quezon province, was fixed on the 26th day of August, 1950. A pompous inauguration was celebrated by the townspeople under the unforgettable leadership of Mr. Domingo Reyes and of the late Mr. Yao Ching Kio, wealthy businessman of the place with Congressman Vera as the guest of honor. Among the other distinguished guests, were Governor Gregorio Santayana and Mr. Roman L. Santos, the Division Superintendent of Schools for Quezon province.
When the municipality of Buenavista was inaugurated on August 26, 1950, it belonged to the seventh class. Six months thereafter, due to some increase in revenue, it rose to sixth class, hence, two other Municipal Councilors were added, Mssrs. Mariano Dosto and Pedro Ortiz, both by appointment.
The first group constituting the Municipal Council Officials by appointment and held office beginning August 26,1950 up to December 31, 1951, are as Follows:
Its first barrios are: Batabat, Bukol, Cabong, Sadlit, Catulin, Del Rosario, Hagonhong, Buenavista and Dela Paz. The subsequent set of the municipal council officials was chosen in the ensuing regular election.
But the year 1953 was the gloomiest for it was on March 23, 1953, that the town was marauded by the HUKBALAHAP under notorious Huk Commander Viernes, ransacking almost every house and business establishment, killing many innocent civilians and annihilating the entire BOT detachment assigned in the municipality under ihe command of the late Sgt. Orfilla.
Its present total land area is 14,750 hectares and Buenavista is situated in the Bondoc Peninsula. Its population is 24,798 as per 2007 official census and it has 37 barangays. Its climate is classified as Type 4, which means that rainfall is evenly distributed throughout the year. The topography is slightly rolling.
The original natives of the place are said to have came from the Bicol region. The Non - Christian Tribe consists of the Katabagans who have the recognition of the Commission on National Integration. Presently, the greater majority of the populace emanated from the neighboring towns, mostly Bicolanos, and the main dialect is Filipino, although the Bicolano, Visayan and Ilocano dialect are being commonly used in the barrios.
The majority of the inhabitants are Roman Catholics, although a few belonged to the Iglesia ni Cristo, Seventh Day Adventist, Jehova's Witnesses and Protestants. The Patronal Town fiesta is being held yearly on August 9 and 10, but the official town fiesta is on February 14 of each year and it is so for the gayest social occasion.